Re: replace Oracle 8 with Oracle 9i

From: Peter Sylvester <peters_no_spam_at_not_here.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:13:42 -0500

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:45:33 -0500, Jim Pistrang <jim_at_jpcr.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Customer is upgrading an NT to Win3000, and I want to upgrade their
>> Oracle 8 to Oracle 9i.  I would prefer to just delete the entire Oracle
>> 8 environment and do a clean install of 9i.  Do I need to run an
>> uninstaller to remove Oracle 8, or can I just delete the entire oracle
>> folder from the D drive?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jim

> Not installing Oracle 9i next to Oracle 8 in a *different Oracle home*
> is one safe way to disaster.
> Just deleting Oracle 8 from the D: drive is the most safest.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

You need to remove c:\program files\oracle as well as a bunch of registry stuff as well. There's a metalink doc on it if you want to get real clean, but getting the obvious registry stuff usually works ok.

HKLM\software\oracle
HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\services\Oracle*

You'll need a reboot to clear the deleted services. Use oradim to recreate any services needed for existing databases (also see the migration stuff...).

--Peter Received on Tue Nov 29 2005 - 16:13:42 CST