Re: Pure Java or oracle webforms?

From: Cris Carampa <cris119_at_operamail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:23:19 +0200

Umberto Michelucci wrote:

> I am writing to this ng in the hope of help from the experts here. I
> have to work on a project. We can choose between two technologies:
>
> - Pure Java
> - Oracle web forms
>
> Now, we are two with a lot of experience in Java but almost none in
> webforms (Oracle and PL/SQL is no problem). The project is medium
> sized. We have to write an application (with a rather complex
> navigation system) that must run in Internet and must access a medium
> sized database.
>
> Can someone point me the advantages and disadvantages of the two
> technologies from your experience?

Umberto,

what do you mean with "pure Java?" An HTML-based front-end generated by JSP/servlets or a GUI that directly talks to the database or to a middle-tier?

Here's my 2 cents about webforms (9.0.2, perhaps 10g is a different beast):

Advantages:

- stable, fast and secure 3-tier system
- short development times
- not difficult to learn if you already know Oracle and pl/sql

Disadvantages:

- objects are difficult to share/reuse between developers
- complex forms could show unexpected behaviour
- forms run only within supported browsers on Window boxes
- shops must buy the whole application server for running forms

Ciao,

--
Cris Carampa (cris119_at_operamail.com)

- We're gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what's Fonzie like?
- Cool?