Re: HELP ME!! BACKUP WITH EXP COMMAND

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 08:32:07 -0700

Joel Garry wrote:

> "rob" <rob_at_dsdelft.nl> wrote in message news:<clt486$p79$1_at_news.tudelft.nl>...
>

>>Please keep in mind that export is not really a backup: no recovery, roll
>>forward, etc. It's just contains the data at a certain point.
>>

> Export is so a backup. It's just a logical backup rather than a
> physical backup. It has utility in keeping data for restorative
> purposes. Exports plus physical backups isn't redundant, there is
> value added.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/hardware/story/0,10801,56988,00.html

If combined with a physical backup you are correct as stated by Oracle:

"You should not use Oracle import and export utilities as the sole method of backing up your data."

Source:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10743/backrec.htm#i1011713

I did not get the impression from the OP that any physical backup existed thus my response.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington