Re: So what if 8i is outta support ?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 28 Oct 2004 17:51:25 -0700

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1098932671.384226_at_yasure>...

> I speak only from the standpoint of business conducted in a few states
> in the United States.

I think your viewpoint is valid in the major techie areas of the US.

> If you read more into it than that you are engaging in a flight of fantasy.

Wheeeee! :)

> The reason I insist on skills is that I am almost always consulting for
> very large companies that have a pool of talent. They want people with
> at the skills of their current employees. And if they get lucky and can
> high-grade the stable with a thoroughbred ... all the better. They are
> not looking to hire a trainee ... and why should they if they are
> willing to step up to the plate with the right salaries for the right
> talent?

And that was why I said you are probably doing a good job from your and your customers viewpoints. In fact, I have had the best success by being put into places simply because of a specific skill, the less "interviewing" and "qualification," the happier they are with me - I mean literally just showing up for work one day has invariably worked out the best. (And sometimes replacing someone who blew it, after all the qualification.) My problem is with the larger view of most companies and how they handle staffing. In reality, people need to know their data and know their cow-orkers, and that just isn't going to happen in a matter of days. So many HR departments exist just to say no, based on irrelevant concerns. Benefits are going away, the middle class is being squeezed, we have a long term problem. Now with Check 21, and automatic debits and credits, I predict that we are going to see a lot more people, when they lose their jobs, just have an economic train wreck.

I've been getting a lot of calls lately from headhunters with nearly incomprehensible east Indian accents, who don't seem to understand their own job requirements. I can't help but think they are leftover H1-B's.

As far as the trainee thing, it ought to be obvious by now that a stable work force is desireable. And obvious that trainee could be one of your students, as you have previously described them. Which could be someone just like me.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Don't use the rudder or the tail might fall off: