Re: So what if 8i is outta support ?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:42:16 -0700

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> they sink or swim, and it's no skin of your nose particularly if they sink.

You were doing really well Howard right up to this sentence.

If they sink ... I lose the account.
Then I can't afford my boat.
Then I can't afford my single malts.
Then I have to go do sales and find new accounts. These are all bad things.

> Of course, if they do that, you/your organisation might not get the repeat
> business of filling any further jobs that client has to offer. But it's not
> personal for you like it was for me.

It is but in a different way. My reputation depends on never placing anyone that can't just swim but teach others to swim too.

> I don't, in short, think nationality has anything very much to do with this
> at all.

It does only so far as it may well be that in some countries or localities the marketplace is different. For example we have seen some posters indicate that an OCP has value. Here they are treated with disdain.

> I wouldn't expect the temp agencies in Australia to take especial care over
> who they send for interview to companies here, either.
>
> Regards
> HJR
And I know the one's here haven't the ability to do so. An example: Many years ago I was contacted by an account manager at a local agency to see if I would take a contract: I did. One year later I was contacted by the same young lady ... she had left recruiting and become the manager of a Victoria's Secret store. Her IT skills began and ended with surfing the web.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington