Re: Oracle 9i RAC vs Hardware clustering (like HACMP)

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:13:16 -0500

On 2004-10-19, Joe Maloney <mpir_at_bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Mark Clark <nospam_at_thankyou.com> wrote in message news:<erm9n0d64ovq2miivng04apivt2832aeh8_at_4ax.com>...
>> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:14:38 -0700, DA Morgan
>> <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
>>
>> >Praveen wrote:

[deletia]
>> Worth considering the limitations of RAC too -- range etc.. That said
>> h/w clustering and RAC are often complimentary in large scale
>> deployments where they each provide a solution to certain
>> problems/challenges. Certainly for large projects the aquisition
>> costs are rarely a major factor for a blue chip.
>>

>> Mark
>> http://www.linxcel.co.uk
>

> I did not see what platform you are on. In 9i on AIX, I believe you
> need both HACMP and RAC to accomplish much beyond physical/logical
> standby.

        HACMP is only necessary if you aren't using any 3rd party clusterware like Veritas. OTOH, HACMP doesn't look like the sort of tech that allows easy addition of capacity. It also looks to be severely limiting in the potential number of nodes.

--
        Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates         |||