10g Enthusiasm (Was: So what if 8i is outta support ?)

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 25 Oct 2004 01:41:25 -0700

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1098641055.308411_at_yasure>...
> The point is to find the right person ... and in my mind ... to reward
> those that take their profession seriously. Anyone today working in 8i
> and not studying 10g is a fraud. Their employer may not have it but
> there is no excuse for them not to.

It looks like DM is the biggest 10g evangelist here. :-) However, I do not know about the situation in the US, but here it is no so hot. Just last week I asked the local Oracle repr. about any production reference using 10g. There is not a single one in the country, with some exceptions from an educational sector (that doesn't count). So there is simply no demand from employers for 10g skill yet. As I see it, I will in the first half of the next year attend Oracle 10g - New features for administrator/developers and sometime in the middle of 2005 maybe I will start thinking about using 10g for the first time in my organizations (it is almost two years since I did this with 9i, seems like yesterday).
Of course, I already installed and played with Oracle 10g, but simply because of curiosity and anxiety to see it, not because of any real need. So I do not see 10g skill right now right here as a must. Maybe in some other countries the situation is entirely different.

--
Dusan Bolek
http://www.db-support.com

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email will face an
unpleasant end as SPAM.