Re: Fail Safe Installation Question

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 21 Oct 2004 10:54:55 -0700

> I'm not totally clear about the Fail Safe Installation instructions.

What's Fail Safe an anacronym for RAC?

> The manual seems to recommend that the Oracle Software should be installed
> twice (local to each node of a 2 node cluster) , with the database being on
> a shared disk.
> While this is the MS way of doing it, it is not the way I'm used to it on
> U*Xes, where the software is also on a shared disk.

Assuming it is RAC (Real Application Cluster) you are talking about, it still varies somewhat based on platform, whether you have a clustered file system or running raw, etc. You still need clusterware (os dependent) running whether you have a clustered file system or not.

My env is HPUX 9.2 RAC Service Guard

When you install RAC you install on one side installer sees the other nodes in cluster and installs software on all the nodes (some root scripts must run independently on each node).

> Therefore all maintenance work has to be done twice (e.g. applying patches,
> upgrading the software-not the database,etc.).

No not for RAC.

> Is my reading of the recommendation correct and will the Oracle Installer
> recognize the fact that e.g. a patch has to be applied to another node and
> do it? I believe SQL Server SP installation does it.

Either Oracle installer or opatch (oracle supplied perl scripting for installing one-off patches) see all the nodes (unless you have screwed something up) and install maintenance on all. Received on Thu Oct 21 2004 - 12:54:55 CDT