Re: 10G - editing SPFILE

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:47:22 +0200

Charlie Edwards wrote:
> I had 8i running fine on my PC (XP home).
> I loaded SP2 and hey presto - it doesn't work.
>
> No problem, a good opportunity to load up 10G
>
> But it eats memory like anything, so I decide to lower the sga_target.
> Trouble is now I get:
>
> "Specified value of sga_target is too small, needs to be at least 24M"
>
> and I can't edit the SPFILE manually as Oracle won't start complaining
> it's corrupt or something.
>
> So have i got to reinstall, or what. And are there any tips on how I
> can minimise the memory requirements (till i buy some more). I don't
> want anything fancy, just the database.
>
> Cheers
>
> CE

In addition to what HJR said, lowering your sga_target changes nothing with regard to the memory that gets allocated on instance startup.

You should try to lower sga_max_size (but be sensible about it), around 120M is the lower limit you can use to play around but it ain't gonna be fun!

Regards,
Holger Received on Wed Oct 20 2004 - 17:47:22 CDT