Re: Fssnap and Oracle 9i

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:01:43 +1000

http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-9-49622-1&searchclause=fssnap

>> The instances would indeed need to be shutdown before taking your backup.
>> The problem is simply a generic one: an operating system utility cannot
>> know the significance of the first block in a data file's header. Nor can
>> it understand that 16 512 byte blocks need to be copied in synchronism
>> before you can say you've backed up one Oracle block. Only an
>> Oracle-aware utility can do that (such as RMAN). Therefore, if the
>> instances are still running, you risk fractured blocks and inappropriate
>> data file headers.
>
> Isn't that what hot backups are for?

Joel: could you try to note what the actual topic of conversation here is, before joining in? The OP wrote, "I'd like to solicit opinions about fssnap".

*My* comments are addressing his question.

What are your comments doing?

Yes, we know that Oracle has a hot backup capability. But the question was actually, how good is fssnap.

HJR Received on Fri Oct 15 2004 - 18:01:43 CDT