Re: Remote client to startup using SuSe

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:54:51 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> OK, point taken, and you got me fair and square. The brain and the fingers
> were not communicating properly.
>
> In the true spirit of getting my own back, nicely, however...
>
> I would just point out that they tend not to be called "tns aliases" these
> days. The "proper" name for them is, apparently, "Oracle Net Service Name
> Aliases". Or variations on that theme. Largely, I suppose, because many
> people won't be using tnsnames.ora as their names resolution mechanism...
>
> :-)
>
> Yeah, I still call them tnsnames aliases too!!

Thanks for the heads up, I'm positively looking forward to typing in that word beast. Not that anyone will bother to read my posts anymore, a connect string of

        sqlplus "sys/<sys_password>@<Oracle Net Service Name Alias> as sysdba"

will certainly bring tears to the bravest of (wo)men. But so what.

;-)

Cheers,

Holger Received on Wed Oct 06 2004 - 06:54:51 CDT