Re: Remote client to startup using SuSe

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 09:39:40 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> Vageesh wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>I am using a suse client and a suse server.
>>I have configured the Lister and its up and running.
>>I have configured tnsnames.ora and tnsping works.
>>The database is SHUTDOWN and I want to START.
>>I have a pfile at client place in which have specified the
>>spfile=path/filename parameter.
>>Now I try to say
>>sqlplus "sys/password_at_connect as sysdba"

> So you're connecting from the client to issue privileged commands? You'll
> need to set REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=EXCLUSIVE if it's not already. There
> will need to be a password file on the server if you haven't already
> created one. Use orapwd to do that if necessary:
>
> orapwd file=$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapwSID.ora password=xxxxx entries=20
>
> And just so we're 100% clear, the correct connection string syntax is:
>
> sqlplus "sys/password_at_SID as sysdba"

Howard,

you're always so precise with your advices, so I just can't ignore this minor glitch:

A remote client has no idea where to connect to if you only supply it with a sid. So to be really 100% clear, the correct connection string is:

sqlplus "sys/password_at_tns-alias as sysdba"

It's certainly common practice to name the tnsalias after the SID on the server, but it's not really required. Sometimes I just name them after the application they support.

Cheers

Holger Received on Wed Oct 06 2004 - 02:39:40 CDT