Re: Useable RMAN Backups using standby databases OS COPY. ( Ora8i )

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 10:30:51 +0200

On 4 Oct 2004 01:17:30 -0700, acpanugayan_at_gmail.com (Alvin Panugayan) wrote:

>Is it possible for me to make datafile copies from my standby
>databases instead of the production db ?
>
>What are the steps in doing so.. do i
>
>=> Method A
>1. stop the archiving mode of my standby db via 'recover managed
>standby database cancel;'
>2. Take OS level copy
>3. register the OS copy to Rman
>4. continue applying the archive redo logs via 'recover managed
>standby database;'
>
>or
>
>=> Method B
>1. Shutdown the standby DB
>2. take OS copy
>3. Register in RMAN
>4. startup the standby db and continue applying the changes.
>
>Which method will give me useable datafile copies ?
>
>Are the above methods viable or possible at all ?

I wouldn't rely on an os copy being identical with an RMAN datafile copy. On the contrary: if you have OS level backups, why register in RMAN? RMAN is a means to back up, not a means to catalog standalone backups in.
In fact the issue is a non-issue with Oracle 9i, as in Oracle 9i you can make ordinary RMAN backups from a standby database, and this is the preferred method.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA