Useable RMAN Backups using standby databases OS COPY. ( Ora8i )

From: Alvin Panugayan <acpanugayan_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 Oct 2004 01:17:30 -0700

Is it possible for me to make datafile copies from my standby databases instead of the production db ?

What are the steps in doing so.. do i

=> Method A

1. stop the archiving mode of my standby db via 'recover managed standby database cancel;'

2. Take OS level copy
3. register the OS copy to Rman
4. continue applying the archive redo logs via 'recover managed
standby database;'

or

=> Method B

1. Shutdown the standby DB
2. take OS copy
3. Register in RMAN
4. startup the standby db and continue applying the changes.

Which method will give me useable datafile copies ?

Are the above methods viable or possible at all ? Received on Mon Oct 04 2004 - 03:17:30 CDT