Re: Logging

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 07:26:27 -0500

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:50:25 +0000 (UTC), Jon Hunt <thisisnotmyaddress_at_nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Pardon a newbies ignorance.
>
>I have a Oracle 8 server with a database that was setup in non-archive
>mode. As I want to be able to use import and export tools, I have been
>told I need to switch to archive mode.
>
>Can this be done without destroying data?

Using import and export have nothing to do with whether or not you are in archivelog mode. Your archivelog status has no bearing on your ability to export or import.

Turning archiving on and/or off will not destroy data. Not having archiving turned on and not having a good backup procedure will almost certainly lead to a loss of data at some point in the future.

Do not confuse export with backup.

Do not confuse import with recovery.

Check the docs at tahiti.oracle.com Received on Tue Jul 13 2004 - 07:26:27 CDT