Re: Excessive Logical and Physical I/O

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:06:19 +0100

Brian Peasland wrote:

>>>If I need to be corrected, then I need to be corrected.
>>
>>Oh well, in that case... do something about that paper showing 50%
>>improvements in speed because of an index rebuild!!! ;-)

> I was waiting for someone to take me to task for that paper....I wrote
> that paper many moons ago, so the information is dated. And I don't go
> back and update my papers every time I learn something new. I had been
> meaning to add some more information to that paper, but just havn't
> gotten around to it yet. Your comments prompted me into action today. If
> you go to my website (http://www.peasland.net), you will see that I did
> add an addendum to that white paper.

However, Howard let you get away with this:

<quote>
Contrary to some widely accepted beliefs, indexes in Oracle are not self-balancing. After a table experiences a large number of inserts, updates, or deletes, the index can become unbalanced and fragmented
</quote>

Lucky bastard ;-)

Cheers
Holger Received on Fri Mar 26 2004 - 03:06:19 CST