Re: Fed Up with being a DBA

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:18:29 -0700

Joel Garry wrote:

>Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1063722199.940900_at_yasure>...
>

>>Noons wrote:
>>

>>>Too true. But I think it needs to have at least a solid foundation. So
>>>it won't *need* to resort to profit. I've been racking my brains
>>>for years trying to figure out a way of achieving it. Short of getting
>>>a religion, a party, a charity or a union involved, I see no
>>>other way of doing it. Someone better than me will find one, I'm sure.
>>>

>I've forgotten: what was the reason we couldn't just takeover IOUG?

I'm not sure if I follow the relationship.

>>The medical board had its Board of Directors meeting last week so I
>>won't be able to find anyone for a week
>>or two, they are all on vacation. But I will find out how they got their
>>start and get back to you. Others have
>>successfully done it. And in the area of medical boards I can tell you
>>there was obviously no industry sponsorship
>>because there is no "industry" that benefits: Just the patients.
>>

>That's totally wrong, legal and medical communities both benefit
>greatly by limiting entrance. It just happens to be all the in-crowd
>that benefit, rather than a particular corporation. It's not
>necessarily a bad thing, although developments with insurance in
>recent decades seem to be breaking the system, and in the US at least,
>turning it corporate. Also, a lot of it is government driven, even
>with "no" socialized medicine/law.
>

>jg
>--
>@home.com is bogus.
>http://www.lsbme.org/history.htm

I have enough inside knowledge with this group to know that your assumptions are way off base. They work with the certified training programs to increase, not decrease, the number of qualified applicants and the government has nothing to do with anything the Board does. The government's input stops with a license to practice medicine ... period.

There are just some things you can't hide from the person writing your software. And this group is nothing if not ethical and impressive. And I'm not easily impressed.

--

Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)