Re: problem with listener on oracle 8.1.7

From: VasantKumar Naidu <vask001_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Jul 2003 23:10:32 -0700

Svend Jensen <Svend.S.Jensen_at_it.dk> wrote in message news:<3f23fcc7$0$32503$edfadb0f_at_dread16.news.tele.dk>...
> [...]
> > )
> > (DESCRIPTION =
> > (PROTOCOL_STACK =
> > (PRESENTATION = GIOP)
> > (SESSION = RAW)
> > )
> > (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = cbicpp)(PORT = 2481))
> > )
> > )
> >
> > SID_LIST_LISTENER =
> > (SID_LIST =
> > (SID_DESC =
> > (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
> > (ORACLE_HOME = /home/app/oracle/product/817)
> > (PROGRAM = extproc)
> > )
> > (SID_DESC =
> > (GLOBAL_DBNAME = cbi)
> > (ORACLE_HOME = /home/app/oracle/product/817)
> > (SID_NAME = cbi)
> > )
> > )
> >
> > *****
> >
> > below is the tnsnames.ora file from my server:
> >
> > tnsnames.ora
> > ------------
> > INST1_HTTP =
> > (DESCRIPTION =
> > (ADDRESS_LIST =
> > (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = cbicpp)(PORT = 1521))
> > )
> > (CONNECT_DATA =
> > (SERVER = SHARED)
> > (SERVICE_NAME = cbi)
> > (PRESENTATION = http://admin)
> > )
> > )
> >
> > EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
> > (DESCRIPTION =
> > (ADDRESS_LIST =
> > (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
> > )
> > (CONNECT_DATA =
> > (SID = PLSExtProc)
> > (PRESENTATION = RO)
> > )
> > )
> >
> > CBI =
> > (DESCRIPTION =
> > (ADDRESS_LIST =
> > (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = cbicpp)(PORT = 1521))
> > )
> > (CONNECT_DATA =
> > (SERVICE_NAME = cbi)
> > )
> > )
> Hi,
>
> to address - sometimes the transaction stop, the query hangs -
>
> The listener is only for establishing connections between client and
> server. It listens for incoming connect request and checks if the
> requested service is available (running or exists) and the user name
> password. If this is OK, it spawns a shadow process (in dedicated mode)
> and redirects this process to connect to the client, either on the same
> port as the listener or on a random selected port. Check the
> listener.log in $ORACLE_HOME/network/log. End of story for the listener.
> It is not involved in any transactions nor any query after the
> connection is established.
>
> /Svend
> Remove the spam killer [S.] in the reply address.

Hi Sybrand, Svend,

I am sorry for putting my question in such a silly way. Actually the users had complained that sometimes their query hangs when they try to do any transactions (insert, query, update), I found no other problem with the database like space and extent issues to relate their problem. Only that the listener showed the service handlers 3 times.

I have installed Oracle8i (8.1.7) on another machine there it shows:

Services Summary...

   cbi		has 1 service handler(s)
   PLSExtProc	has 1 service handler(s)

anytime I check for the status.

But the machine I am addressing is where this problem is occuring:

> > Services Summary...
> > cbi has 3 service handler(s)
> > PLSExtProc has 1 service handler(s)
> > cbi has 3 service handler(s)
> > cbi has 3 service handler(s)

is this proper. I have been monitoring it for 2 days there seems to be no problem. But does the listener has to show 3 service handler and that too 3 times?