Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: Bert Bear <bertbear_at_NOSPAMbertbear.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 06:35:11 GMT

Joel,

FYI: There is a big difference between "Oracle Master" and "Oracle Certified Master."

An Oracle Master is someone who paid (or whose company paid) for Oracle training. It doesn't say the person learned anything or even attended the class (other than to sign-in).

On the other hand an "Oracle Certified Master" MIGHT BE getting closer to what Daniel desires (e.g. like a state run board test for lawyers, doctors, and engineers). The OCM requires you to:

  1. Be an Oracle 9i OCP (via the 4 exams or New Features exam)
  2. Take two advanced Oracle training classes (e.g. replication, advanced SQL, etc.)
  3. Take a two day practical exam where you build systems, implement features, and solve problems on real machines.

The key is #3. The first two are nice and help you prepare but it is #3 that might make the OCM very valuable. It would be nice to know more about the actual stuff covered, in order to judge its value.

Personally, I look forward to taking (and God willing passing) the OCM exam, but only after studying and practicing for it.

Bertram Moshier
Oracle Certified Professional 8i and 9i DBA

http://www.bmoshier.net/bertram