Re: Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.1) + Redhat Linux 7.2 = Cannot create tablespace file > 2 gb

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 19:46:20 +1000

Why on Earth anyone would want files bigger than 2Gb, I can't imagine.

Tablespaces should get bigger by having more files, not huge, monolithic entities that have to be backed up in their entirety, restored in their entirety, and in which all data is lost until the entire thing is restored and recovered.

So, no, I can't add to the technical stuff you've provided. I just think the original requirement is off the deep end in the first place!

Regards
HJR "Knut Talman" <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de> wrote in message news:3D1A09D0.1A4803AF_at_mytoys.de...
> Joe Salmeri wrote:
> >
> > I don't just blindly post requests for help until I have exhausted all
other
> > possibilities.
> >
> > I have looked, I have searched google for DAYS. I've read over 100
> > arcticles on Oracle8i and Redhat 7.2. They all address the installation
> > problems but nothing about the largefile issues.
> >
> > I've really only found two references to >2gb tablespace issues. One is
for
> > SUSE Linux which basically says it isn't supported and the other is for
> > Redhat Enterprise Edition which says that it supports it (that is not an
> > option for this client).
>
> Can anybody correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK, Oracle 8i uses glibc 2.1.3.
The
> LFS interface in glibc 2.1.3 is complete - but the implementation not. The
> implementation in 2.1.3 contains also some bugs, e.g. ftello64 is broken.
If you