Re: 9i's dynamic sga

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2002 08:20:14 -0700

In article <3D15BE67.1060506_at_europe.com>, sg says...

>does this apply to all platforms?

no, see
http://technet.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_library/901_doc/A90347-02/html/ch1_admi.htm#86752

for example where it discusses ISM vs DISM on solaris.

But -- bear in mind, that one a platform like windows where it must do this (in order to keep the memory space "flat" -- we cannot just realloc() the memory, it would move the entire SGA -- leaving a really big, huge hole in the processes already allocated memory), the OS will do the right thing. That is -- if we ask for 500m, but use only 200m -- the other 300m will be paged out, the OS won't reserve physical ram for us. If you never grow the SGA, that memory will never be paged in.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte@oracle.com)             http://asktom.oracle.com/