Re: The demise of the Oracle professional?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:20:49 +1000

In article <20020610075330.05060.00000604_at_mb-cq.aol.com>, you said (and I quote):
> #1 What is with all the SUN bashing? They make a damn fine product. Their
> servers are like rocks. Heck, even their workstations are rock solid.

You gotta be joking, no? Rock solid? Darn, you must explain that to the Sun techos who couldn't get the CPU's going in our 10000 last year. Took them 8 months to stabilize the darn thing! 8 MONTHS!!!!

As for "all" the Sun bashing, so far it's me. Relax, it's a single voice. Pity is I have yet to be found wrong when I make this sort of warnings. Been doing it for 15 years and have yet to be wrong once... I could even "dare" to tell you Sun won't last long as a server company, but that would be stealing the thunder, no?

> #2 If Java and J2EE is so dead, then why does Microsoft have its own attempt
> at the same called .NET?

Because like so many others, they figured out J2EE is a dead end technology that plays into IBM's territory. M$ may be a lot of things but they are, most definitely, NOT stupid. And I have yet to see Bill Gates take a step that involves shooting his foot. Unlike Larry, who must be walking on stumps nowadays...

> #3 Java is alive and well on the server side. If you guys' prediction of Java
> being dead is true, then Oracle might just as well be dead. Oracle put Java
> EVERYWHERE in their product.

Correction. It used to be so at the high of the Java craze. Nowadays, Oracle doesn't even encourage people anymore to run Java inside the RDBMS. It's not worth it.

Java has the presence it has today because it was supported by database companies such as Oracle. To ward off the "evil" M$. And it has been successful because of this support.

Take it away and it has no one to help it. And yet, what do all these J2EE idiots go and do? Bash away at anything that reads database. About time they were shown the door and this J2EE sickness stopped. The architecture of this thing is demented to say the least. It reminds me of the bad old days of CICS and transaction managers. Totally hopeless for general computing. Very nice for "shopping carts" and other deranged ideas. Useless for anything else.

Java has one strength and one strength only: it is portable. J2EE is an abortion. And Java's performance is sickening, to put it mildly.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto