Re: Database recovery from user error

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 08:56:34 +1000

"Sean M" <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net> wrote in message news:3D0135B5.14268187_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net...
> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
> >

> <much sage advice which I agree with>
>

> > But I repeat: the major problem here is attempting to automate a
recovery.
> > Recovery scenarios need to be diagnosed carefully, and handled
carefully.
> > Particularly since no two recovery scenarios are the same. A batch
script
> > just doesn't cut it.
>
> Hi Howard-
>
> Slightly off-topic (since I wouldn't necessarily advise this to the
> original poster), but I've found automating/scripting recovery to be
> possible in certain controlled situations. We have an automated process
> that, every night, makes a hotbackup of a 700 GB database, recovers it
> on a separate host, and does the open resetlogs. The copy is used for
> reporting throughout the following day and is rebuilt again that night.
> It's all automated, 100%. Granted, this is a pretty unique situation,
> but it's still possible.
>
> Regards,
> Sean

But we don't disagree. You have a recovery scenario which has been diagnosed to within an inch of its life, and is utterly predictable as a consequence. Same recovery scenario every night... Naturally that can be automated. Our original poster has dropped a table. Unless he plans on dropping the same table at the same time every day for the next year, the benefits of scrpting and automation in his scenario escape me!! ;-)

HJR Received on Fri Jun 07 2002 - 17:56:34 CDT