Re: Database recovery from user error

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 16:37:41 -0600

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

<much sage advice which I agree with>

> But I repeat: the major problem here is attempting to automate a recovery.
> Recovery scenarios need to be diagnosed carefully, and handled carefully.
> Particularly since no two recovery scenarios are the same. A batch script
> just doesn't cut it.

Hi Howard-

Slightly off-topic (since I wouldn't necessarily advise this to the original poster), but I've found automating/scripting recovery to be possible in certain controlled situations. We have an automated process that, every night, makes a hotbackup of a 700 GB database, recovers it on a separate host, and does the open resetlogs. The copy is used for reporting throughout the following day and is rebuilt again that night. It's all automated, 100%. Granted, this is a pretty unique situation, but it's still possible.

Regards,
Sean Received on Fri Jun 07 2002 - 17:37:41 CDT