Re: TOAD vs HORA

From: Andy Sprecher <andy.sprecher_at_huntington.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 18:19:58 +0000 (UTC)

I've not used HORA but I'll toot TOAD's horn. I used it on the development side for several years. Before that I used notepad and SQL*Plus. I was 100 times more effective with TOAD.

TOAD provides a basic integrated environment for writing PL/SQL packages and managing simple database objects. It also helps with syntax checking and had some "nice" features to aid a programmer with development ( table/index lookup hot-keys, rudamentary execution plans, color coded editor etc ). I'm sure other tools provide similar benefits, maybe even better, but if money is THAT tight free TOAD's price tag is nice for what you get and it beats SQL*Plus. (assuming you develop on a Windows box)

In addition to the free version there is an "evaluation" version. If you don't mind Quest calling about every 2 days you can download an evaluation version for 30 days to get a feel for additional features available.

That's my 2 cents worth.