ora-12500 on db startup

From: <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 21:02:15 GMT

We are running OWS 7.3 on two NT 3.51 servers – one test and one prod. The test server is running 18 different databases and the prod server has 7. We have the servers re-booted every weekend, and to make this process more idiot proof, I wrote database startup and shutdown procedures in Rexx. Cutting the startup procedure to its basics, and using a pseudo-code, it looks something like this:

/* ----- begin pseudo code ----

Sid_list. = GetSidList()
/* the above statement calls a user written function that will read and parse
the
/* LISTENER.ORA file and return a list of sids discovered there. SID_LIST.0
will
/* be the count of entries found; SID_LIST.1 thru SID_LIST.n will be the names
of
/* the sids.

Do x = 1 by 1 until x > sid_list.0 /* for every sid found in LISTENER.ORA */  Sql_script = MakeScript(sid_list.x) /* create a script to start the database and return its name */ Os_cmd = ‘svrmgr23 @sql_script’ /* have SVRMGR execute the startup script */ End

/* ----- end pseudo code ---- */

For a typical sid, the generated SQL_SCRIPT.SQL file looks like this:

spool StartLCOP.log
connect internal/****@LCOPdb
startup pfile=d:\orant\database\LCOP\initLCOP.ora exit

Originally, the OS_CMD was “start svrmg23 . . . .” so that all db’s could be started in parallel, but I ran into a bunch of ORA-12500 errors, so I removed the START to see what would happen by single threading it all. On this weekend’s reboot, I still got one db that returned the following msgs:

ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process
LCC-00161: ORACLE error (possible syntax error) parameter [NULL]
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

Given that the startup cmds and the method of invoking them is absolutely consistent for all sids, what should I be looking for as the cause of the failure? There is nothing wrong with the DB itself, as I am able to start it by hand from an OS prompt after the script has completed.

Ideas?

--
Ed Stevens
Nissan Motor Mfg. Corp., USA