Re: how can I drop a column from a table??? Hurry up, please

From: Matthias Wipf <wipf_at_fzi.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 16:37:46 +0200

Taken from:
Oracle Underground FAQ
http://www.onwe.co.za/frank/faq.htm
(look under Server/SQL)

Oracle does not provide a way to DROP a column (reference: Enhancement Request 51118). However, Joseph S. Testa wrote a DROP COLUMN package that can be downloaded from http://www.oracle-dba.com/ora_scr.htm.

Apparently Oracle 8.1.X will have an "ALTER TABLE table_name DROP COLUMN column_name" command.

Other workarounds:

  1. update t1 set column_to_drop = NULL; rename t1 to t1_base; create view t1 as select <specific columns> from t1_base;
  2. create table t2 as select <specific columns> from t1; drop table t1; rename t2 to t1;