Re: processes not dying show killed forever

From: Bertalan GOMBOS <gombos_at_finit.hu>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 16:21:50 +0200

Hi !

dean_at_gfsmortgage.com wrote:

> I have a developer that keeps crashing his system and reconnecting to
> my Oracle server.
>
> He has six connections showing as inactive. I killed one of his
> processes hours ago, but it still shows up( as killed).
>
> I know how to treat the symptom, but not the cause.

Well, I don't know the exact reason for this phenomena but I think the rollback cause this. I encountered this, my experience is the following: the killed session made some changes so their transaction had to be rollbacked. During this rollback the killed process was waiting for the DBWR system process. I don't know whether the rollback had been under process or there had been a hang.

--

                                           :
  ---|----------'  `--------   |           |  bgombos_at_freemail.c3.hu