Re: Space allocation for Number datatype

From: Matthias Gresz <GreMa_at_t-online.de>
Date: 1998/03/05

On Wed, 04 Mar 1998 11:10:56 -0500, Tansel Ozkan <tansel_at_openix.com> wrote: Hi,

excerpt from Oracle's Administration Guide:

Datatype

               Description
                                                         Column Length (bytes)
 CHAR (size)
               Fixed length character data of length size.
                                                         Fixed for every row in the table (with trailing spaces); maximum size is 255 bytes per row, default
                                                         size is one byte per row. Consider the character set that is used before setting size. (Are you using
                                                         a one or two byte character set?)
 VARCHAR2 (size)
               Variable length character data. A maximum size must be
               specified.
                                                         Variable for each row, up to 2000 bytes per row. Consider the character set that is used before
                                                         setting size. (Are you using a one or two byte character set?)
 NUMBER (p, s)
               Variable length numeric data. Maximum precision p and/or
               scale s is 38.
                                                         Variable for each row. The maximum space required for a given column is 21 bytes per row.
 DATE
               Fixed length date and time data, ranging from January 1, 4712
               B.C. to December 31, 4712 A.D. Default format: DD-MON-YY.
                                                         Fixed at seven bytes for each row in the table.
 LONG
               Variable length character data.
                                                         Variable for each row in the table up to 2^31 bytes, or two gigabytes, per row.
 RAW (size)
               Variable length raw binary data. A maximum size must be
               specified.
                                                         Variable for each row in the table, up to 255 bytes per row.
 LONG RAW
               Variable length raw binary data.
                                                         Variable for each row in the table, up to 2^31 bytes, or two gigabytes, per row.
 ROWID
               Binary data representing row addresses.
                                                         Fixed at six bytes for each row in the table.
 MLSLABEL
               Variable length binary data representing OS labels.
                                                         Variable for each row in the table, ranging from two to five bytes per row.

--

Regards

Matthias Gresz    :-)

GreMa_at_T-online.de