Space allocation for Number datatype

From: Tansel Ozkan <tansel_at_openix.com>
Date: 1998/03/04

Dear Oracle Experts,

I am planning on adding about 100 numeric fields to a 100,000 record table. This is a DSS application so we are not concerned about normalizing the data. My question is how the numeric fields are stored in Oracle internally. I mean, does Oracle allocate less space for a Number(6) compared to Number(10) or specifying a length is necessary for controlling the data allowed in that field? If the length of the column makes a big difference in space allocation, I will keep the precision to a minimum.

Tansel Ozkan
Macrosoft, Inc. Received on Wed Mar 04 1998 - 00:00:00 CST