Re: Problems with creating new database

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1997/09/26

Haresh Assumal <assumal_at_sprynet.com> wrote in article <01bcc9ce$42ee7120$fab1aacc_at_mycomp.intermediainc.com>...
> I used the tool - Database Assistant and created a new database called
 TST.
> I then had to manually modify the listener.ora and manually create a
> Service to the new SID (also called TST).
 <snip>
> What do I need to do? Shouldn't the utiltiy that created the database
 take
> care of this? What is the best way to manage/create a database. Oracel 8
> tools do not seem to be integrated/work properly. If thats the case then
> whats the best way to manage the database, although I may be using the
> tools wrong.

I've got strong views on Oracle tools, but I won't air them here. :-)

Always create a database create script and stay as far way from these auto-create db tools. Two reasons. Firstly, when scripting it, you learn a lot more about how Oracle works, how to create tablespaces, about public and private rollback segments, autoextends etc etc. Secondly, when you need to recover your database you have a script to re-create it - instead of using a tool that you've used maybe a year ago and you can't remember the tablespace names and sizes, the names of the datafiles etc.

regards,
Billy Received on Fri Sep 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT