Re: Oracle & Alpha VMS or NT?

From: Alexey Reshetov <real_at_real.hq.kem>
Date: 1997/09/13

Douglas Scott (Douglas.S.Scott_at_boeing.com) wrote:
: My boss wants to setup a development environment using a small Alpha
: running either VMS or Windows NT and Oracle. The environment would only
: have to support about a dozen concurrent users. Can anyone tell me what
: would be required in terms of processor, memory, disk space etc. to run
: Oracle (7.3)? He's thinking of either a 1000 or 2100, but I'm not even
: sure of the model numbers. So if you have a suggestion for that too I'd
: be interested to know what would work.

: Douglas Scott
: Douglas.S.Scott_at_boeing.com

For 1 dozen concurrent users will enough alpha 800 5/333 with 2 MB L3 cache or alpha 300 4/266 with 128 MB RAM for text-mode only use. For Alpha with graphic interface:
Alpha 1000 5/300 with 2MB ECC cache and 256 MB memory. Disk space: 1 GB for System, 1 GB for Oracle binaries, at least 1 GB for your Database (according to your data).
For Operating System I'll should recomended Digital Unix v4.0b. Repeating: not VMS, not Windows NT. Only Digital Unix!!!

Alexey Reshetov
real_at_kpbank.ru Received on Sat Sep 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT