Re: Oracle and Dial-Up (TCP/IP)

From: Andy Hardy <aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:10:44 -0400

In article <s7wI3.71$Fb.10316_at_nntp1>, renaissanz <renaissanz_at_hotmail.com> writes
>Hi there,
>New to Oracle, and trying to configure SQLNET. I am on an intranet, but
>trying to dial out and connect to a remote database with SQLNET. It hangs
>until it times out. BTW, I am running 7.3.4 and connecting to 8. So I'm
>thinking that because I have TCP/IP for the intranet, and another TCP/IP for
>dialup, maybe Oracle is getting confused and trying to connect through
>intranet instead of dialup. 2 questions:
>1. Is this what is happening?
>2. How do I point it to dialup instead of intranet.
>
>I appreciate any help you can give!
>
>Matt

Presumably we're talking MS Win9x/NT here?

Can you dial-out to the server?
Does PING to the server work?
Does TNSPING to the server work?

I have to use Dial-up networking to start the phone call on my NT4 PC to the server, when the connection is up I can then use SQLNET quite happily.

Of course, your intranet and remove server do have different subnets...

Andy
--
Andy Hardy. PGP key available on request