Re: Enable Multitenant after Installation

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2024 20:54:04 -0400

On 7/4/24 5:46 PM, Alan Sterger wrote:
Hello List,

Installed 19c via silent install method.  Since installation, a request has come in to use the Multitenant Option.  I've confirmed via v$database:
CDB    CON_ID
--- ----------
NO         0

Is there a way of enabling Multitenant Option after installation?

Thanks,

-- Alan

Hi Alan,

There probably is no way to convert a flat database, with no tenants into a database with tenants. There is "ENABLE PLUGGABLE_DATABASE" parameter which activates the multi-tenant option at the moment of the CDB creation:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/refrn/ENABLE_PLUGGABLE_DATABASE.html

That means that the only time that parameter can only be activated is during CREATE DATABASE command. CREATE DATABASE command also has "ENABLE PLUGGABLE DATABASE" option, but I haven't played with it, since Oracle installer does that very well. Of course, you can clone a "flat" database into a tenant of another CDB. The best recipes for doing that are available on Tim Hall's oracle-base.com. That site is extremely useful, I advise you to check it out.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant