Re: ASM and VMWARE

From: Osman DINC <dinch.osman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2024 22:02:42 +0300

Hi Lewis,

Oracle recommends using four (4) or more disks in each disk group. Having multiple disks in each disk group
spreads kernel contention accessing and queuing for the same disk.

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10803/config_storage.htm#HABPT4790

The number of LUNs (Oracle ASM disks) for each disk group should be at least equal to four times the number
of active I/O paths. For example, if a disk group has two active I/O paths, then minimum of eight LUNs
should be used. The LUNs should be of equal size and performance for each disk group.
An I/O path is a distinct channel or connection between storage presenting LUNs and the server. An active
I/O path is an I/O path in which the I/O load on a LUN is multiplexed through multipathing software.
Ensure that all Oracle ASM disks in a disk group have similar storage performance and availability
characteristics. In storage configurations with mixed speed drives, such as flash memory and hard disk drives
(HDD), I/O performance is constrained by the slowest speed drive.

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/ostmg/considerations-asm-storage.html#GUID-18D7AFB2-F417-4E1F-B3B0-02585E385818

Multiple ASM disks allow for multiple I/O queues in the OS, and so can assist with performance. However
too many disks may prove cumbersome to manage.

Regards,
Osman DİNÇ
https://dincosman.com