Re: Any way to capture spatial bind data?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jlewisoracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 11:43:38 +0000

I had a little play around with this, but I couldn't find a way to get at the bind value.

The 10046 trace shows only the first 16 bytes of the raw data. (Interesting detail - I was using a simple rectangle as the bind sdo_geometry), on disc it took about 90 bytes, but the bind variable was declared as 656 bytes.

I tried dumping the error stack at level 3, and still couldn't find the bind, all I got was the same description, pointer and 16 bytes.

It did occur to me that even if I found a way to dump the (whole) bind we still might not see it for this error if the error is occurring in the SQL*Net transport layer before it gets to the session layer that we normally trace. I've probably missed or forgotten some dump/trace we could invoke, but I think it would be a case of dumping the entire session state when the error occured then finding the short description of the bind and following the pointer into the full memory dump of the session. Possibly someone else will be able to suggest a way of doing that.

One simple guess - an SDO_GEOMETRY includes two declarations of varray(1048576) of number (stored as LOBs). Maybe the particular value that causes the problem is just too large for some part of the code that is trying to handle it. It might be worth checking where the bind values come from, and checking to see if there are any very large LOB values stored in the table.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis