Re: Have you extra approach identifying oracle standalone ASM architecture?

From: Douglas Dunyan <dmdunyan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2023 00:45:40 -0700

Greets !
Wouldn't a properly maintained 'oratab' file answer the question in a comprehensive fashion?

A single instance HAS installation should have an entry for '+ASM'.

A RAC instance with a CRS installation should have an entry for '+ASM[1...99]' (assuming you don't have any 100 node or larger clusters) and are indeed using ASM for your shared storage requirement.

Checking for running processes such as PMON via the 'ps -ef | grep pmon' command at the OS level can tell you whether or not an ASM instance is running, but not if one SHOULD be running.

Merely the existence of an OS user named 'grid' is not evidence of whether or not ASM is configured and should be running. Someone could have created a user named grid for another purpose like monitoring or managing print queues. They also could have installed the infrastructure layer using the same user as the oracle database binaries (typically user oracle,) or another username.

The installation of the HAS infrastructure IS a requirement for ASM. But that requirement is NOT bidirectional.

Just because the HAS stack has been installed, does NOT indicate ASM instance has been configured. You can certainly install the HAS stack merely for its high availability features, such as monitoring instances and restarting in the event of instance crashes. Your databases could surely utilize local files stems, or even NFS.

If anything stated is inaccurate I am counting on the list to let us know.

Doug