Re: Postgres to Oracle

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 09:15:08 -0400

On 6/7/23 04:15, kyle Hailey wrote:

> I've heard lots of the years about going Oracle to Postgres, but right
> now I want to try going from Postgres to Oracle and exploring the best
> method for testing the current workload on an Oracle test copy. Should
> I use Kafka to fork the workload, requiring app rearchitecting, or
> reading logs captured using log_statement='all' to replay on Oracle,
> or perhaps GoldenGate, which might miss select query workload? What's
> your preferred method and why?
> Thanks
> Kyle

Well, I have never done so, but my preferred method would be Golden Gate replication, which supports PgSQL. If that's too expensive, there are open source replication suites like SymmetricDS or ReplicaDB. You can dump the DDL into a file (pg_dump) and rework the file into Oracle DDL. Normally, very few changes would be needed. VARCHAR postgres type would need to be declared as VARCHAR2. FLOAT should be translated to NUMBER, same as NUMERIC. Perl script to do that should not take more than few hours to make.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant