Re: MS Defender for OL7 Oracle DB servers

From: Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 08:44:36 -0800

Scheduled automated VM rebuilds work just fine with multi-TB databases, on-prem or in the cloud.  Data storage is detached from the soon-to-be-destroyed VMs, then re-attached to newly-rebuilt VMs and binaries.  Don't confuse a requirement to rebuild code and systems with a requirement to rebuild data.

Certainly there is a possibility that the very tools used for security become an attack vector;  that is the whole point of the exercise, by forcing a small number of carefully scanned and trusted images to be propagated throughout.  If one can't automate rebuild, then one is stuck with predominance of ever-more-fragile house-of-cards with undetected malware festering within indefinitely.

Think it through, think of alternatives, and think a couple moves ahead...