Re: SKIP LOCKED on RAC

From: Jonathan Lewis <jlewisoracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 09:36:25 +0000

 I can't find the phrase in the manuals but the statement of RAC (and OPS before that) was that Global Cache locking was totally independent of (they may even have said "orthogonal to" row locking.

"really shouldn't be using skip locked" doesn't mean "isn't supported", it means "if you need to use skip locked you're probably going to be modifying the same data sets from multiple nodes and that's going to wreck performance" (And following on from Andy's comment about AQ - the reason why the guideline is to have instance-specific queues is that the critical structure is (was) and IOT, so every instance would be enqueueing to the same leaf block, and every instance would be dequeueing from the same leaf block if you had a global queue.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis