Re: SKIP LOCKED on RAC

From: Sayan Malakshinov <xt.and.r_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 01:31:46 +0300

Hi Mladen,

I think there is no such limitation. At least I have never heard/read about this.
In fact it's better to use official checklists for RAC:

  • Application Development Best Practices for Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) / A Developer’s Checklist / ORACLE WHITE PAPER | JULY 2016

   https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/options/clustering/overview/racappdevbp-3124851.pdf

  • Oracle RAC Database aware Applications - A Developer’s Checklist / ORACLE WHITE PAPER | April 2013

   https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/availability/racdbawareapplications-1933522.pdf

  • Oracle RAC Installation Checklists for Linux/Windows:

   https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/rilin/oracle-rac-installation-checklist.html

   https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/riwin/deployment-checklist-for-oracle-rac-database.html

  • Application Checklist for Continuous Service for MAA Solutions / ORACLE white paper / March 3, 2021

   https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/clustering/checklist-ac-6676160.pdf

They mention DBMS_JOB, DBMS_PIPE, sequences, etc, but not "skip locked"

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 1:17 AM Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/22/21 15:52, Andy Klock wrote:
> > Hi Mladen,
> >
> > "Mladen Gogala" <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> I know that SELECT FOR UPDATE SKIP LOCKED is not supported
> >> across the RAC instances but I am unable to find any Oracle
> >> documentation documenting that behavior. Can anybody help?
> > I can understand leaning towards writing the application to avoid
> > concurrent updates from different instances, but I wasn't aware
> > that SELECT FOR UPDATE SKIP LOCKED wasn't supported.
> >
> > Andy K
> >
> I was told that by an Oracle Support engineer after working on a SR for
> one of the customers. SKIP LOCKED was causing a nice little ORA-00600
> and the support guy told me that we really shouldn't be using SKIP
> LOCKED across the RAC instances. However, I cannot locate any support
> article stating that explicitly. ORA-00600 is an Oracle bug, by
> definition. Now, I would like to see that documented somewhere.

> --
> Mladen Gogala
> Database Consultant
> Tel: (347) 321-1217