Question on usage of Performance Analyzer

From: Raghunath paikaray <loknath.73_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 01:37:47 +0530

We are migrating from Oracle version 12.1 to 19C.We are currently not having a performance environment or Real application testing(RAT) environment. Which can be utilized for replaying/mimicing the exact application load to see/compare the post upgrade behaviour of the production database. And it seems to me , that would have been an exact test of the post upgrade behaviour of our application.

But the team is suggesting in absence of RAT, we can achieve the same using SPA(sql performance analyzer) to validate/compare the before/after performance impacts of the database upgrade and take necessary corrective measures. I have not used this feature before , but as I can see from the oracle doc, it says it(SPA) can have significant load on the production if it runs in parallel with the actual sqls. But few team members suggest it will have minimal load on the databases. So wanted to understand from the , if anybody has used this feature during such an upgrade scenario? And this can be used in production without affecting the real application queries? Or is it that we can use this (SPA) feature in lower environments to validate the pre vs post upgrade performances? And if it's possible , then what will be the key steps which we can follow here?