Re: Oracle 12.1.0.2 RIP

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 08:14:20 -0700

actually, oracle can be made to run on ubuntu.

as a server though I am not sure why anyone would bother.

Personally I have 11.2 and 12.1 clients running on ubuntu.

doing so is not straightforward; I did it only because Ubuntu/Mate is my work environment of choice.

adding a 12.2 client is simply not possible with the other two installed, which is why I have docker machines for 12.2 and 18c clients.

the docker solution works remarkably well.

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 17:40 Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mark!
>
> Oracle doesn't work on Ubuntu. It works on Oracle Linux, Red Hat, CentOS
> and Suse, that's about it. The only way to get it running on Ubuntu is to
> create a Docker container on a supported Linux and then run it on Ubuntu.
> That may not be a bad idea, if that is what you want.
>
> Regards
> On 10/21/19 2:59 PM, Mark J. Bobak wrote:
>
> We still have two Windows 2008R2 servers....we have a plan to be off by
> Jan 2020, cause after that, no more security updates.... :-(
> -Mark
>
> PS And yes, plan is to replace with Linux... :-) (Probably Oracle Linux,
> or possibly Ubuntu)
>
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 2:08 PM <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If an application is only certified for a database version that's ten
>> years old, then really why run it on that platform. I know people still run
>> Win2008 R2 and RHEL 5.3 but it isn't exactly wise..
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 5:23 PM Juliano Ribeiro <supernoi_at_msn.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> What to do with client systems that are only homologated for Oracle 11.2?
>>> It's like watching a fossil being created, it's weird! 🤓👍
>>>
>>> Att.
>>>
>>> *Juliano Ribeiro*
>>> http://br.linkedin.com/in/supernoi

>> --
>> Niall Litchfield
>> Oracle DBA
>> http://www.orawin.info
>>
> --
> Mladen Gogala
> Database Consultant
> Tel: (347) 321-1217
>
> --
Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Principal Consultant at Pythian
Pythian Blog http://www.pythian.com/blog/author/still/ Github: https://github.com/jkstill