Re: Storage choice for Oracle database on VMware

From: Neil Chandler <neil_chandler_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 18:20:11 +0000

Personally I prefer ASM with OMF even on single instance at you get restart and other nice commands through srvctl, like adding services.

If I was using a file system, I’d pick xfs over ext4.

Neil.
sent from my phone

On 30 Oct 2018, at 18:08, Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com<mailto:christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>> wrote:

After dealing with multiple filesystems of very busy databases for the last year (one of which is 70+TB), I would say ASM ALL THE WAY. Never go back to filesystems after using ASM.

Adding space, managing space is so much better on ASM.

Just my $0.02.

Chris

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 12:15 PM Radoulov, Dimitre <cichomitiko_at_gmail.com<mailto:cichomitiko_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Hi all,

considering the technology today: XFS as default FS on Linux 7, the modern HW and the latest VMware versions, what storage type would you use for a single database instance on VMware? Oracle versions are from 11.2 to 12.2, database size varies from 300G to 3T+.

Would you use XFS with non-default values for filesystemio_options or ASM?

Regards
Dimitre