Rman and Version Migration

From: Storey, Robert \(DCSO\) <"Storey,>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:50:24 -0600

I may not have gotten far enough into my research to know the answer yet, but I'll ask it anway.

Can Rman be used to migrate a database from a 32 bit environment to a 64 bit environment? Would this work:

  1. Take an RMAN full backup of the database
  2. Build a 64 bit machine
  3. Install 64 bit O/S and Oracle.
  4. recreate the exact same folder structure as on the 32 bit machine.
  5. Login to RMAN and do a redirected restore.

I have a 9.2.0.8 database. Have to make sure that 9.2 is available in 64bit. If not, I would have to upgrade to 10g.

Thanks
Bob