Re: SQL - Using SELECT FROM x physical table

From: Daniel Fink <daniel.fink_at_optimaldba.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 07:26:01 -0700

Is there an index on year for the table? If so, then getting MAX(year) and filtering on year should be relatively painless. If not, you would perform two full table scans on the table.

Using a trigger means executing it every time there is an insert. That is likely more overhead in the processing of the trigger than with an additional index.

--
Daniel Fink

OptimalDBA    http://www.optimaldba.com
Oracle Blog   http://optimaldba.blogspot.com