Re: RESOURCES ARE NOT FREED WHEN A SESSION DIES ABNORMALLY.

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 10:53:38 -0700

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 11:15 AM, <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com> wrote:

> Yes I agree, I never had issues with alter system kill session on windows
> (2 years). orakill was for orphaned threads in unusual situations, 4031's
> etc. perhaps needed it once or twice and it really turned out not to be
> much of a help in that situation as it kill the symptoms and not the cause.

If I must kill a session, I always first use orakill on windows, or kill -9 on linux.

The reason for doing so is at times the 'alter system kill session' will not

cause the session to actually be killed.

If 'alter system kill session' is used first, the serial# is no longer in v$session for that session. If that is the case, and I didn't record the serial#, and the session soon proves that it needs to be killed via orakill or kill -9, the serial# is required.

Just something to consider.

--
Jared Still