RE: RESOURCES ARE NOT FREED WHEN A SESSION DIES ABNORMALLY.

From: <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:15:19 -0400

Yes I agree, I never had issues with alter system kill session on windows (2 years). orakill was for orphaned threads in unusual situations, 4031's etc. perhaps needed it once or twice and it really turned out not to be much of a help in that situation as it kill the symptoms and not the cause.

I have killed plenty a session. One should try to communicate however to the DBA that they would like their session killed rather than they 'X' out of their session as that stands a better chance of killing the os process/thread at the same time - as opposed to killing the session after the 'user' did not exit properly for whatever reason.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
joel.patterson_at_crowley.com
x72546