Standbys and Temp Space

From: Kevin Lange <klange_at_ppoone.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 17:01:46 -0500

Environment:

    Oracle 9.2.0.7 Database with a TEMP tablespace defined with TEMPFILES.   Process:

    Production Database gets cloned to a Standby using a Standby Control File and copying all datafiles. In doing the copy, ALL Datafiles get copied. Even the TEMP files.

Question:

    When you mount the Standby Database to accept logs, does it need the TEMPORARY Tablespace Temp Files ? It does not look like those are necessary until you OPEN the database. Right now space is a bit tight and I could use that space someplace else. If they are not necessary in order for the Standby to apply its logs, I will stop the Clone Process from copying them and just recreate them if/when we have to bring the Standby up.

Thanks

Kevin