RE: Oracle Announces The Same Enterprise Class Support For Linux As For Its Database

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 07:17:33 -0700

        That's the only hurdle here. My Teamlead and SA is a huge Linux fan. He only runs Linux on his desktop, using Citrix to do Outlook and homegrown Winders apps. We test drive RAC 9i for a year, hoping it would replace our midrange Unix boxes with a Linux blade farm (it didn't). We have refused to put Oracle on Winders since some major corruption debacles back in v7. However, he has a very difficult time justifying the cost of RedHat support versus our corporate Winders rate, so we have only one RH server currently rolled out and it's slated for retirement as soon as I can get the stragglers off of the ONames server it's running.

...can you please explain this again? It looks like you need to make a move to
commodity hardware, and tried with 9i RAC without success and won't do windows
because you've been burned before, but will if the support is cheaper from Oracle
than Linux? But in the meantime you'll retire the only RH server you have
as soon as you can, but replace it with what?